We loved our first visit to Windsor so when Wayne, owner-operator of Windsor Adventure Inc., invited us to go kayaking with him to Peche Island we immediately said YES. Seriously…we didn’t ask many questions. We just agreed and waited patiently for the first weekend of the 2017 operating season and off we went.
We also recorded a video of our adventures in paddling over to Peche Island for our YouTube Channel. Check it out and let us know what you think!
If you liked this video then remember to subscribe to our YouTube Channel to view all our videos!
Wayne & his Team offer adventures of all kinds both on land and in the water. The boards and bikes were not available yet during our visit so we only did the kayaking tour however we’ve listed all the rentals available and the pricing for you. The rest of this blog post is just going to focus on our kayaking tour.
As with most rentals you’ll have to sign a waiver first and then listen to a very detailed safety demonstration before you set out. Individual and group tours are also available in addition to the private rentals. The paddle over to Peche Island is approximately 10-15 minutes.
The name ‘Peche Island’ is misleading because it’s not just one island however a group of little islands created over time thanks to Hiram Walker. The Island was originally meant to be his island getaway / vacation home however that plan never materialized after his house burned down. He ended up cutting canals and dredging the land which has today resulted in a series of channels that make for great paddling and views of the wildlife. The Island is now a municipal park owned and maintained by the City of Windsor.
Windsor Adventure Inc.: 10630 Riverside Dr E or Stop 26 Beach (across from the Stop 26 Ice Cream Shop). Look out for the Windsor Adventure Inc. tent & kayaks. You can’t miss them.
Peche Island: The only way to get to Peche Island is with a kayak as the paddleboards are not permitted for use to get to Peche Island.
Fun on the Water
- Single Kayaks – $20 for the 1st hour + $10 for each additional hour
- Tandem Kayaks – $30 for the 1st hour + $10 for each additional hour
- Paddleboards – $20 for the 1st hour + $10 for each additional hour – Paddleboards can only be used on Lake St. Clair and cannot be used to get to Peche Island
Fun on Land
- Tandem Bicycles – $20 for the 1st hour + $10 for each additional hour
- Longboards – $10 for the 1st hour + $5 for each additional hour
- Walking Poles – $5 for the 1st hour + $5 for each additional hour
*The cost of rentals are subject to change.
Hours of Operation
|Monday||9:00 AM – 8:00 PM*|
|Tuesday||9:00 AM – 8:00 PM*|
|Wednesday||9:00 AM – 8:00 PM*|
|Thursday||9:00 AM – 8:00 PM*|
|Friday||9:00 AM – 8:00 PM*|
|Saturday||9:00 AM – 8:00 PM*|
|Sunday||9:00 AM – 8:00 PM*|
*The last rental of the day is at 6:00 PM
Checklist for your visit
- Binoculars if you have them to help you spot the wildlife on land, in the water and in the air.
- Camera or Smartphone to take pictures on Peche Island. A dry bag is available to you at no extra charge and keep your valuables safe and dry.
- Bottled Water – You’ll work up a thirst paddling to the Island and there are no facilities or vending machines so its best to B.Y.O.
Must Do or Try
- Say hi to Pirate (pictured above). He is very friendly and loves to go kayaking with Wayne too!
- Hike on Peche Island.
- Look out for various wildlife (i.e. turtles, fish, birds, snakes).
- Take lots of pictures.
- Pick up after yourself. Don’t leave anything behind.
Have any photos or videos of your visit that you would like to share with us? Send them over to @LetsDiscoverON.