This July we were SO lucky to join Tourism Windsor Essex Pelee Island (TWEPI) on their Barrel Bottles Brews Trail. This “Trail” is actually a combination of 11 craft breweries & distilleries with a variety of products & experiences. There are also a couple of fun ways to visit at least 6 of the 11 stops through the use of this passport.
The other feature about the Barrel Trail is that even if you’re not a fan of beer or spirits you’ll still enjoy the history lesson behind the product & Windsor’s involvement in the Prohibition Era. For example….did you know that Windsor was the birthplace of whisky in Canada? Now that’s a fun fact to share at your next cocktail party!
During our visit we also recorded a video for our Let’s Discover ON webseries:
If you loved the video then subscribe to our YouTube Channel and follow us as we Discover Ontario.
- Driving – Take the 401 West and keep driving west until you reach Windsor.
- VIA Train – VIA offers daily service to Windsor.
- There is no cost to visit each stop along the Trail however prices for tastings & food can vary.
Important things to keep in mind:
- The Barrel Trail is a “go-at-your-own-pace” type of experience which is fantastic for anyone who doesn’t like to be on a tight schedule. NOTE: We were on a real tight schedule on the day we visited and therefore only made it to 4 of the 11 stops 😦
- The legal drinking age in Ontario is 19.
- Most Importantly – Please Drink Responsibly.
What you need to try:
- The Coffee Whisky made exclusively at Wolfhead Distillery – We loved it so much we couldn’t leave without buying a bottle for ourselves.
- A Tasting Flight at Walkerville Brewery – This gives you a chance to sample several beers before you select which pint or two you’re going to enjoy.
- A Tour & Tastings of the world-famous Canadian Club at its Brand Centre. If you’re lucky, you may even run into the CC Godmother, Tish Harcus.
- The Brew Haus Pretzel & the Brew Proper Lager from Brew – They make a perfect pair!
Here’s a quick checklist for your next visit:
- Photo ID with your Date of Birth.
- Your Barrels, Bottles & Brews Trail Passport – Collect stamps from each stop & don’t forget to redeem the Passport at the TWEPI office.
- Your Smartphone – You’ll definitely want to take pics, video, tweet & share about all the amazing food & drinks you’re enjoying, #BarrelTrail
- Plan ahead by choosing a designated driver or calling a cab. Please Drink Responsibly!
Other cool places to check out in Windsor include the Walkerville District and the Waterfront Trail. We chose to see & experience both areas on bicycles and loved every minute of our ride! Thanks again to our friends at City Cyclery & TWEPI for hosting us and sponsoring a portion of our visit.
Remember to subscribe to our blog for new posts!
Have any photos or videos you want to share with us? Send them over to @LetsDiscoverON.