When our friend Amelie Chanda suggested trying mountain biking along with her friend Paul Meiklejohn we immediately said YES! We had never tried mountain biking before and had a feeling it would be an adventure and it certainly was.
Watch the video we recorded of our first-event mountain biking adventure with Amelie & Paul for our Let’s Discover ON YouTube Channel.
If you liked this video then remember to subscribe to our YouTube Channel to view all our videos!
Amelie is a personal trainer, yoga instructor, wellness coach and Ambassador for #GoNorfolk, an initiative she created, so everything she does involves fitness & fun. She’s also a wife and busy mom of 2 so everything she says, does and eats is all about creating a healthy lifestyle for her family. Her positive energy and enthusiasm are so appealing that it’s no surprise her clients rave about her. This really comes across when you watch her speaking and riding in our video. She also led us in a yoga practice on the beach, following our ride, which helped us stretch our muscles. This was the perfect way to wind down and relax. For more info about when and where she teaches yoga visit her events page or contact her.
Paul was raised in Port Dover so Norfolk County has always been “home” to him. He moved away for several years but has since returned to Norfolk County to raise his family. FYI – Paul is a REAL pro on the MTB scene. He’s a former five-time Ontario Champion!
Paul originally thought he’d coach athletes when he retired from professional competing however he decided to share his passion for riding by teaching and coaching. He now owns and operates Elevation Mountain Bike Camps & Coaching and provides private lessons and tours. He is also very involved with the Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club (TPMBC).
Norfolk County is home to a Carolinian forest which makes for ideal riding conditions and 75kms of trails (soon to be 100km). The trail system is created and maintained by the Turkey Point Mountain Bike Club and it’s volunteers.
We experienced and learned first-hand that mountain biking is a fun, family-friendly outdoor activity that connects riders with nature.
How to Rent or Book a Tour
- Contact Paul at 1-519-427-311 or email him.
- Rentals includes the bike, helmet and free bike delivery within the Turkey Point Area. Both adults and kids bikes are available in addition to fat bikes.
Cost & Inclusions
- Half-Day Rental – $35.00 *
- Full-Day Rental – $50.00 *
* These rates are subject to change.
Keep in Mind
- The trails are narrow so its best and safest to ride single-file.
- Ride with a partner or in a group for an even better experience.
- The trails are not lit so don’t ride if there is low to no natural light.
- The trails are groomed on a regular basis however you made encounter fallen branches and rocks.
- There are no washrooms, garbage or recycling bins on the trails.
Must Do or Try
- ALWAYS wear a helmet when riding.
- Challenge yourself by trying out an Intermediate or Advanced Level trail depending on your skill and comfort level.
- Share the trails with other riders or hikers.
- Appreciate the natural beauty.
- Download the TPMBC APP with detailed maps of the Trail System.
A checklist for your visit
- Mountain Bike
- Smartphone with the GPS feature turned on
- Small Backpack or Cinch Bag
- Bottle of Water
- A small plastic or paper bag for garbage.
Our Mountain Bike Lesson & Rental was sponsored by Elevation Mountain Bike Camps however all opinions, recommendations & reviews are our own.
Have any photos or videos of your visit that you would like to share with us? Send them over to @LetsDiscoverON.